The game didn’t start off with a 105 yard kick off return for a TD; however, the first offensive series actually resulted in a rushing TD by Adrian Peterson (with DT Letroy Guion blocking no less!). Not only that, but there were TWO passes that were greater than 6 yards! One of those was a nice completion to Greg Jennings. I have to admit that I smile with glee (and not just a little schadenfreude) whenever Greg makes a play. I like to imagine Packer fans crying like little babies as he catches footballs while decked out in the beauty that is PURPLE.
For now, I’m going to ignore the fact that Ponder missed a passing TD when he waited way too long to throw it to John Carlson, who had been open for what seemed like d-a-y-s.
The Browns’ first offensive series was a travesty of defensive ineptitude. Where the hell is our defense? We let a guy throw his THIRD NFL TD in FIVE years (not to mention we allowed him to complete his longest pass). I’d be lying if I didn’t acknowledge that this march down the field by the Browns completely eradicated the tiny bit of hope I had after the first offensive series.
So, at the end of the day, the Browns decimated us and beat us for the first time since 1986. Well done, 2013 Vikings.
Let’s break some stuff down.
- Marcus Sherels stepping up when Chris Cook went out.
- Erin Henderson’s INT that Ponder *actually* managed to convert to a TD by running it in himself. Good choice since he’s otherwise inept.
- Erin Henderson got the first sack on Hoyer of the day.
- Brian Robison got the second sack on Hoyer.
- Erin Henderson got a 2nd sack in the 4th quarter.
- Alan Williams: completely oblivious to the fact that the Browns might fake a punt on 4 and 1 in the 2nd quarter. The Browns got a nice, long run out of that.
- It took until the middle of the 3rd quarter for the defense to look mildly interested in the game.
- Harrison Smith INT (which Ponder squandered yet again)
- Chad Greenway INT (which Peterson fumbled away. Again.)
- Adrian Peterson’s ability to hang onto the ball. Or rather inability. 2009 redux so far.
- General fundamentals are TERRIBLE (holding onto the ball, tackling, execution in general) because our coaching staff is ATROCIOUS.
- The o-line. Loadholt, Sullivan, Kalil…. what the hell is going on?
- The defensive pass rush. I assume it’s ugly since we never really saw one.
- Time Management
- Play Calling
- THE ENTIRE GAME
That’s it for another week, my Vikings compatriots. I’ll sum up today’s game like this: Leslie Frazier needs to be fired. If not now, then for sure at the end of the season. Bill Musgrave is a talentless hack who should be divested of his position in the org and replaced as soon as possible. Get Brett Favre up here as OC. Hell – Kluwe was tweeting during the game. Bring him in as OC. Literally ANYONE would be better. BENCH PONDER. Matt Cassel is barely better but I’ve got no interest in looking at that permanent herp & derp look on Ponder’s face every week.
This team is a mess. I’ve said previously that I thought we’d go 5-11 this year. I believe I was overestimating the talent of this team.
What do you think?
See you next week, my Purple Friends. Make sure you prep yourself this week for a loss to the Steelers in London. No point in letting this team ruin your Sunday by expecting a win.