Vikings and prime time football are like oil and water, as we all know. The great news is that we have 3 weeks in a row of prime time! Our humiliation has just begun and it’s only going to get worse.
Because I cheer for the Vikings, I went into the game with low expectations. The good news is that I was not disappointed. At this point, I feel like we should petition to give a nickname to the offense; we can call them the 3 & Outs. I’ll break down the issues in a bit, but at its core, our inability to convert 3rd downs is why we continue to lose, not just games but the battle for clock time. Make no mistake though: our inability to convert is the result of numerous issues, as I lay out below.
- Color commentary about Josh Freeman: “Uncatchable is an understatement.” And that, my friends, is the theme of tonight’s game.
- Marcus Sherels and his punt return TD in the 1st quarter.
- Jared Allen’s long armed, one handed sack in the 2nd quarter.
- Half-time. I really enjoyed the break from the atrocity tonight. In many respects I would have been happy with just one half of a game tonight.
- Cullen Loeffler’s fumble recovery. You don’t see that from a long snapper every day… or ever.
- The Vikings played in prime time. That’s never a good idea, unless Brett Favre is facing his former team for the first time. But we only had one of those.
- Josh Freeman is a professional QB. One would think he could hit open receivers down field… but apparently not.
- Josh Freeman can, however, throw an INT instead of taking a sack which was very Christian Ponder of him. It’s great to know that we have 3 mediocre QBs on board. Maybe Webb can move back to QB just to shake things up.
- Cornerbacks missing easy INTs. There were 3 of those by the start of the 4th quarter.
- A Sherels fumble on a punt return and a subsequent Giants recovery.
- Sharrif Floyd fumbling a kick return… that actually made me laugh and I didn’t stop until the Giants kicked their field goal.
- The 2 minute warning of the 4th quarter took FOREVER to arrive.
- Xavier Rhodes and his PI penalty in the first half. That was a costly and unnecessary error.
- The o-line’s inability to generate even a whisper of space for Peterson to exploit. What ARE they doing?
- Leslie Frazier did a terrible job of pre-game planning once again.
- Bill Musgrave didn’t reduce the size of his play card so he could do hand signals. I don’t care what the color commentators say about that. We’ve suffered through 2 seasons of Musgrave and we know he’s unimaginative, uninspired and unable to construct explosive plays.
- We had more passing plays than running plays… nevermind the fact that the starting QB has had 2 weeks to practice with team and we have the NFL MVP at running back. Clearly Musgrave couldn’t be dumber if he tried.
- I wanted to cry when I realized that there were still 12:13 seconds left in the 4th quarter.
- 8:40 left in the 4th quarter didn’t make me happy either.
- This was a terribly embarrassing performance that was worse than I could have anticipated.
Week 7 comes to a close with the single worst football game I believe I’ve ever seen. And I’ve seen a lot. The collective ineptitude of the entire coaching staff, coupled with the bottom of the barrel execution by the team was nauseating. Not to be the voice of doom, but this team is going to suck until someone wakes up and cleans out the coaching staff. And I’m a HUGE fan of taking the front office with them.
We need a regime change and we need people who are actually proficient in managing and coaching an NFL team. We’ve been waiting for SOMEONE to bring excellence to Minnesota since Bud Grant retired for the 2nd time in 1985. How long are we going to have to wait?
My dad died without seeing the Vikings win a Super Bowl. This coaching staff? This front office? They are NEVER taking us anywhere. I have no interest in dying without ever seeing a Vikings Super Bowl win. The Wilfs should cut their losses and move on en masse.
And that’s it for this week my fellow sufferers. At the end of the day, this is our team… and it’s time to take it back. Frazier has to go. Red shirts anyone???