And so, the season has wrapped with one last regular season show down between the Vikings and the Packers.
I have to admit, I didn’t have high hopes coming into the game based on previous performance on the Vikings’ side. But…
All hail your NFC North Division Champions!
Let’s break it down.
- 1st offensive series was a complete failure until… FAKE PUNT with a direct snap to Adam Thielen. Since I essentially live blog this game review, will they convert for points? Answer: a lame field goal due to the inability to complete a pass on Teddy’s part.
- It took until the 2nd quarter, but finally… ARodg sack by Harrison Smith.
- The first completed pass of the evening went to Mike Wallace, who was wide open. Nice gain.
- The Vikings worked hard… only to get another field goal. I’m putting it in the “Good” section because they got points… but this is NOT going to get them anywhere in the post season.
- Adam Thielen had quite a game! Well done, sir.
- Adrian Peterson got the first TD (by either team) of the game. Bonus: Blair Walsh made the extra point.
- Captain Munnerlyn, in a real heads up play, picked up an ARodg fumbled ball (thanks Everson Griffin!) and ran it all the way back to the house. A Blair Walsh extra point added 7 points, bringing the Vikings’ points to 20 (which the Packers were at 3).
- Jerrick McKinnon is just fantastic and I like him. A lot.
- Sharrif Floyd got a sack at a critical time, when the Packers were poised to score a TD.
- Xavier Rhodes intercepted Aaron Rodgers in the end zone. It was delicious.
- Xavier Rhodes batted down the Aaron Rodgers to Richard Rodgers hail mary, sealing the division championship for the Vikings. Well done, sir. I say, WELL DONE!
- 1st offensive drive – McKinnon WIDE open… Teddy overthrew him.
- Teddy was completely inaccurate on the first drive. His passes missed repeatedly.
- The Vikings defense started the game in mediocre fashion. Somehow they managed to hold the Packers to a field goal – but the entire first series was NOT fun to watch. They let Lacy run like he has talent (instead of just being bulky), even Starks had a run. Terrible performance for a first series.
- The 2nd offensive series for the Vikings went nowhere with another incomplete pass. You know what would be great? A completed pass.
- TERRIBLE tackling against Adams late in the 2nd quarter. TERRIBLE. 2 defenders completely wiffed. It was appalling. Newman was the primary offender.
- Thielen was hurt in the 3rd quarter. Pending reports of severity of the injury.
- Adrian Peterson left in the 3rd quarter with a lower back injury. Pending reports of severity of the injury.
- Rhett Ellison was injured in the 4th quarter, knee. Pending reports of severity of the injury.
- Tackling fundamentals – fairly terrible tonight.
- Sherels muffed a punt in the 2nd quarter and then fumbled it. Luckily, it just barely got out of bounds before a Packer got it. Can’t do that when there’s a division title at stake.
- Cris Collingsworth’s game commentary.
- Teddy was sacked 3 times in the first half.
- Teddy lobbed a ball and he should have just taken the sack because he got intercepted. Like a dodo. NOT a good move, Teddy.
- The Vikings defense went soft and mushy late in the 3rd quarter and that continued into the 4th quarter. I don’t know what the hell happened to the aggressive defense we saw in the 2nd quarter, but they really devolved, allowing the Packers to score a TD (with Rodgers rushing all over the place – which was ridiculous)
- Some people tweeted me saying that the defense was “gassed” – well you know what? It’s THEIR fault they’re gassed. If you don’t want to be on the field, then make the plays necessary to get the hell off the field. ARGH!
- Andrew Sendejo is a TERRIBLE tackler. And what I mean by that is that he doesn’t tackle – he body checks. I sent him a tweet to let him know how terrible I think his technique is. You’re welcome, Andrew.
- Cordarrelle Patterson needs to get the hell off of my team. He doesn’t do crap out there and then tonight he fumbles when the kicker knocks the ball out? Unforgiveable. Ridiculous. You add to that video of him laughing on the sideline? Just a complete representation of what an idiot he is. If this guy is still on the team in the fall, I’m gonna occupy Winter Park.
- Adrian Peterson returned to the game. Only to fumble. Just sit him. McKinnon is more than sufficient to close out the game.
- The offensive play calling was completely uninspired. While Teddy wasn’t playing well, why not get him comfortable with some play action options? Norv Turner – totally overrated.
- Um… clock management at the end of the 2nd quarter? And… where were the cojones? I thought, based on the fake punt in the 1st quarter, the Vikings were going to be aggressive. Instead, 4th and 2… and they take a delay of game penalty… and completely ignore a potential field goal. C’mon man.
- Defensive scheme during the mid-3rd through the 4th quarter. Whether or not they were tired, the coverage was just wrong. It was like Zimmer forgot who we were playing. That needs to be shored up before we meet them again.
So that’s it for the season, Vikings fans.
New poll this week. Don’t forget to vote!